Learn more about JIAA
Recognizing its social responsibility for the fact that advertising activities using the Internet constitute the economic foundation that enables all kinds of digital content and network communications, the JIAA is dedicated to improving the environment for Internet advertising business, building social trust from advertisers and consumers, and ensuring that the market continues to grow healthily.
JIAA brings together all businesses engaged in Internet advertising (media companies, advertising agencies, etc.) to develop guidelines focusing on consumer protection; to establish rules and standards to facilitate business activities; to conduct surveys and studies; to carry out education and awareness efforts both within and outside the industry; and to ensure that Internet advertising proves itself worthy of public trust and continues to evolve in a healthy manner.
The JIAA Code of Conduct
June 9, 2017
- We will promote the interactive advertising business that can provide useful values to society.
- We will provide safe, secure and reliable interactive advertising from the consumer’s perspective.
- We will comply with laws and regulations, social norms and JIAA guidelines, and conduct our business with the highest ethical standards.
- We will conduct our interactive advertising business, ensuring fair and transparent transaction.
- We will respect creativity and diversity, and create a healthy and worker-friendly workplace.
- We will reject any unreasonable demands of anti-social forces, and maintain a resolute attitude against them.
The Internet Advertising Code of Ethics
May 16, 2000
- All advertisements must be worthy of public trust.
- All advertisements must be fair and true.
- All advertisements must comply with relevant laws, rules, and regulations.
- All advertisements must in no way be offensive to public order and morals.
|Name||:||Japan Interactive Advertising Association (JIAA)|
|Established||:||May 1999 as a private organization； incorporated in March 2010|
271 full members, 24 supporting members，16 associate members
(as of September 15, 2023)
|Leadership||:||Yoshimasa Watahiki, Chairperson
Kiichiro Mori, Senior Managing Director
Satoshi Niino, Managing Director
Katsurako Yanagida，Secretary General
(as of June 15, 2023)
|Location||:||NREG Ginza Building 7F, 7-13-5 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0061|
JIAA launched as the Internet Advertising Association in May 1999 to ensure that the Internet would grow to be a trusted advertising medium and to provide a sound environment for businesses to thrive. It was legally incorporated in April 2010 as a general incorporated association, then in June 2015, rebranded as the Japan Interactive Advertising Association (JIAA). Most recently in January 2017, the JIAA partnered with the US-based Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) to be part of its global network as IAB Japan (JIAA) to enhance international collaboration.
How to Join
The JIAA membership is comprised of corporate entities and other organizations generating revenue primarily by operating Internet advertising business and other related services in Japan on a continuing basis. All members are deemed to have agreed to the association’s aims, its Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics for Internet advertising upon joining the JIAA.
*The JIAA is not offering membership as IAB Japan.
The JIAA offers three categories of membership including Full, Supporting, and Associate Membership.
Full Members may vote at General Meetings. Supporting and Associate Members do not have voting rights but are welcomed to attend General Meetings as observers.
Corporations and other organizations having their principal places of business outside Tokyo may elect to become Associate Members instead of Full or Supporting Members.
Membership definitions, dues, benefits and services by category are provided on the following pages.
Membership Categories and Dues
|Full membership is offered to companies and organizations primarily engaged in Internet advertising including but not limited to publishers, media owners, ad networks, ad serving platforms, media reps, and/or advertising agencies.||JPY350,000|
|Supporting Membership is offered to companies and organizations engaged in Internet advertising services (other than described above) as deemed necessary by the Board of Directors to perform its responsibilities, including but not limited to ad servers, data services, research and measurement firms, creative and production companies and/or ad operations support services. Agency holding companies are also eligible for Supporting Membership.||JPY300,000|
Type A Associate
|Corporations and other organizations who are eligible for Full Membership may elect to become Type A Associate Members, if they have their principal places of business outside Tokyo.||
Type B Associate
|Corporations and other organizations who are eligible for Supporting Membership may elect to become Type B Associate Members, if they have their principal places of business outside Tokyo.||
Note:The annual dues listed above cover the period from April of the current year through March of the following year. New members joining between October and March pay one-half of the above amounts. Membership dues are not subject to taxation.
Member benefits and services
|Category||Access to JIAA Activities||Website and Publications|
Full & Supporting Membership
Membership Application Process
To become a member, you’ll be asked to submit the JIAA Membership Application Form. Your application will be reviewed by the JIAA Board of Directors. When approved by the Board, membership will be granted upon payment of dues.
If you would like to join the JIAA as a foreign corporation, please ask your Japanese subsidiary or branch to help you with your application including the submission of the required documents.
The membership application process involves several steps including the following:
- To obtain a copy of the membership application form, contact the JIAA Secretariat by completing the inquiry form on our website at https://www.jiaa.org/ or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership Guide and Application Form in PDF will be sent to your email account. Fill in the application form and send it back to the secretariat by email. The company seal may be affixed at a later date.
- An interview will take place as part of the membership eligibility process. In this interview, which will be conducted based on your previously submitted application form, we will explain the primary purpose of JIAA and its activities, learn more about your business and confirm your intention to join.
- Print the application form, complete it, affix your company seal, and mail it to the secretariat. (Please use one A3 sheet of paper and print on both sides.)
- Your application will be reviewed for approval by the Board of Directors and the result will be sent to you by email.
- Once the application has been approved, you will be notified of the acceptance to the JIAA and receive an invoice for the annual membership dues for the first year of your membership. Please pay the full amount due as indicated on the invoice into the JIAA designated bank account.
- Upon receipt of your payment, the JIAA will send out a formal letter of acceptance to the address indicated in your application form.